Project Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Civil Engineering AP Credit

2 posters

Go down

Civil Engineering AP Credit Empty Civil Engineering AP Credit

Post  SohrabT Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm aiming to graduate as fast as I can.
I am taking Calculus BC, Stats AP, Econ AP, English AP, and World History AP, and have taken Bio AP.
I know that I can take credit for English and Calculus courses, but can I cut out any more requirements with the other courses? If so, do you recommend that I do so?
Thanks

SohrabT

Number of posts : 2
Year Graduated : 2009
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Civil Engineering AP Credit Empty Quick grad

Post  ABardal07 Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 pm

Hey there Sohrab, you will be able to use your calculus credit, however many people are known to take the course even though they've obtained 5s. It's very good review and will help you get used to university life, I didn't take the AP but did fairly well in my calculus 12 course, I wound up getting a B+ in calc 101 which wasn't as high as I'd hoped but gave me a lot of insight on my own studying needs. You may possibly be able to redeem your stats credit (you should look into this, I'm not sure which stats course civil's have to take but electrical's need Stats 200), if you only need one stats course you may as well use this credit as it will save you time. As to the arts credits, make sure you take the English credit (it saves you tons of time!!) and take Technical Communication (APSC 201) in your first year if you have a short enough course load (ie 4 or 5) You should also use World history and/or Econ towards your 6 humanities credits.

all in all doing this will save you from taking 4-6 courses. I would suggest you take advantage of this and take only 4 or 5 courses per term your first year, my friends who had 7 were brilliant but didn't get half the sleep I did. Also if you intend to live in burnaby keep in mind that you WILL have 8am classes likely everyday of the week, having a lighter course load means you can get home sooner (yayyyy) and since first years don't get special access to any of the buildings it is a pain in the ass when you have to stay on campus.

That aside, you shouldn't rush your way through Engineering. It is hard. Take it easy your first year, boost your gpa to ensure you get into the specialization of your choice, and then study your butt off because second year is a killer. Also, if you intend to take Co-op (a fantastic program that will provide you with tons of experience) your graduation will be put off by another year. Nobody graduates in under 4 years, don't push yourself to do so. I hope that helps, feel free to ask anything that comes to mind.

ABardal07

Number of posts : 1
Year Graduated : 2007
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Civil Engineering AP Credit Empty Re: Civil Engineering AP Credit

Post  SohrabT Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:43 am

Thanks for your help. Smile

SohrabT

Number of posts : 2
Year Graduated : 2009
Registration date : 2009-03-01